What are decals?
A very simplified way to think of decals is as being like large stickers. With some major differences. Specifically, Altenew’s decals are made with a high-quality vinyl which allows them to be applied to smooth non-porous surfaces without causing any damage. These vinyl decals are made using a low tack pressure-sensitive adhesive that allows them to be applied and removed with ease, without leaving behind a sticky residue, damaging the surfaces they are applied to, or fraying and lifting at the edges.
1. How to apply
- Before you apply your decals, it’s important to make sure your surfaces are clean first. Whether you’re applying them to a wall, gadget, or furniture, it is well worth the time spent to wipe down the surface with a lint-free cloth and a little rubbing alcohol to make sure it’s free of oil or dust. If you’re worried about alcohol ruining the finish of your furniture, try using a gentle cleaning soap instead, and make sure that your surface has dried completely.
- When it comes to applying decals, each one has an instructional kit included, but if you need a little more assistance, Altenew has some helpful resources available on their Youtube Channel.
2. How to remove:
- Removing a decal is as easy as just peeling it right off the surface. It’s recommended you peel slowly backward at a 45-degree angle from the surface. Even though the vinyl itself won’t cause any damage, the pressure caused by ripping it off fast like a waxing strip might! Once you’ve removed your decal, you can always readjust its position and re-affix it to your surface.
Now that you have the basics of decals down, what exactly can you do with them? Well, there are different categories of decals and each one has its own unique qualities of usage, much in the same way that there are different categories of stamps! In fact, when you’re using decals, try and think of it as stamping your home and office space – rather than just cards.
1. Creating Blooming Centerpieces
- Peonies in Blossom Decal Bundle: With the Peonies in Blossom Decal Set A & B, and Amour Decal Set you have the perfect opportunity to create your own floral arrangements. Packed full of individually cut blossoms and foliage, you can create accents and arrangements in any space. The Peonies in Blossom Decal Sets A & B are massive, the entire length of the set measures at approximately 4 feet by 2 feet in width (51” x 24”). Each set has about 24 individual pieces plus the largest blossom measuring at about 24” x 24” inches. The sheer quantity and size of this set give you everything you need to create an explosive arrangement in any space.
What’s nice about this set is, while the arrangements are big in size, highly detailed and intricate, their palette sticks to subtle and muted hues of pink and green, allowing them to be placed in any room without clashing harshly with your existing decor. They’re the perfect way to highlight your existing space. And because each piece can be arranged individually, you can layer, angle, and stick them wherever and however you see fit!
- Amour Decal Set: A smaller decal set but in the same category. This set comes in two sizes, small and medium, which are great for creating small arrangements on laptops, binders, mirrors, or windows. Each set features about 22 individually cut blooms and foliage for you to arrange however you like!
2. Sentiments and Inspiration
In the same way you might add a sentiment to a stamp to tie together a card, with decals you can add a sentiment to tie together a space! Sentiment Decals can be applied just like all other decals and removed and adjusted just the same.
- You Can Decal Set: Your workspace sets the tone for all of the crafts you make, so why not set some inspiration and validate your abilities? Sentiment decals are great to squeeze between a few framed projects or above a desk.
- Decals like this are also great to use in combination with elements from other decal sets. Try mixing elements from other sets with sentiments the same way you might with your stamp sets!
3. Practical Usage
- Decals aren’t just for decoration! They have practical applications too! The glossy surfaces of the vinyl make them perfect to use with dry-erase markers. So, here are several decals meant just for helping you organize your office space!
- Floral Dry Erase Board: This is an adorable 24-inch x 12-inch decal that is perfect to put up in your office or even somewhere like your refrigerator, and leave notes for you or your household!
- Mini Wall Calendar: Rather than have a bulky hanging wall calendar, this decal can be reused and customized to your specific planning needs.
You don’t need decals for special occasions, when you can use them for every occasion! They’re an easy way to decorate, inspire, and craft your life with a little Altenew flair.